Indian-spiced tray bake
The Bollywood-pink, delicious aromas and easy peasy-ness of this recipe are just a few reasons why my own version of Nigella’s Indian-spiced chicken and potato tray bake is my current fave. Cooking supper for the whole family using one large tray is my vision of perfection. It’s been a winner every time I’ve cooked it and that’s quite a lot of times! In my own version I add in a whole cauliflower broken down into florets…but that’s my own personal taste! Enjoy! 🍗
- 3 1/4 lb peeled and cut 1 inch cubes potatoes
- 1 cauliflower
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tsp nigella seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 finely grated zest and juice limes
- cloves peeled and minced garlic
- 2 tsp (or kosher salt) sea salt flakes
- 12 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Cut the potatoes into mouth sized cubes. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Put the cut potatoes into a large, shallow roasting pan and sprinkle with the spices, followed by the lime zest and juice, garlic, 2 teaspoons of salt, and the water.
- Tumble the chicken into the pan, and toss everything well together then turn the chicken skin-side up on top of the potatoes.
- Drizzle the skin with the oil and sprinkle over a little salt, then cook in the oven for 1 hour alongside the cauliflower, or until the potatoes are tender and the chicken cooked through, its skin golden and crisp.
- Serve scattered with chopped cilantro and, if wished, the quick-pickled onions.
This recipe is taken from the book At My Table by Nigella Lawson.