Mushroom & Ricotta Calzone
Did you know that ricotta isn’t actually a 🧀? It’s a creamy curd. We’re not sure this sounds so good, but it definitely tastes lovely. I mean, after all, ricotta appears in sweet and savoury recipes, from lasagna and ravioli to cheesecake and connoli filling. Our favourite way to use ricotta? This oozy, Italian calzone 🍕. With a little help from Gozney’s Roccbox, we created the perfect folded goodness. Here’s how…
- 100g Unsalted Butter, softened
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Parsley
- 200g Ricotta Cheese,
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 400g Crimini Mushrooms, sliced and cooked
- 4 Tbsp Fresh Oregano Leaves
- 80g Mozzarella Cheese
Method, The GARLIC BUTTER
- Beat together the butter and garlic before adding the parsley and checking the seasoning.
Method, The filling
- Pop the ricotta in a food processor with the lemon juice and a little seasoning before whizzing for a few minutes till smooth. Set to one side.
Method, The pizza
- Preheat a Roccbox so that it’s ready and rearing
- To make the calzone, open up a 230-250g (8oz) Neapolitan dough ball into a pizza skin – slightly smaller than you would for a pizza as you don’t want it too thin!
- Spread half the ricotta mix over the pizza skin along with half the cooked mushrooms. Sprinkle over half the mozzarella and half the oregano – making sure to leave a border of around 4cm around the outside.
- Fold the dough over towards you and use the butt end of a pizza wheel to stick the dough together all the way round – it should look like a classic calzone or Cornish pasty at this point!
- Cut the excess dough away from the crimped edge so you’re left with a beautiful looking sealed parcel and pierce the top 2 or 3 times with a skewer to allow the steam to escape.
- Turn the Roccbox flame down to its lowest setting (the thermometer should read around 350oC/660oF) before popping the calzone onto a floured peel and launching into the front third of the oven.
- Bake for 2 ½- 3 minutes rotating and turning as required.
- When the calzone comes out the oven brush it all over generously with garlic butter before serving.
Thanks so much for sharing your recipe Gozney! We hope we’ve inspired you to have fun with food. Check back soon as we have some exciting collaboration news coming up…and of course we’ll keep you updated with our well-loved recipes 🧡