30th May 2023
Stars that Sparkle in Sutton Coldfield
Sutton Coldfield is great fun if you’re a star spotter. It has been home to many famous people over the years, including politicians, business leaders and stars from the worlds of TV, film, sport and music. It’s an affluent area that has always appealed to celebrities of all kinds and locals have got used to mingling with the glitterati. You’ll see well-known faces in the parks, bars and restaurants every now and then.
It is perhaps best known for the many Aston Villa players and managers who have made the town their home as it is so close to both the training ground and to Villa Park. They include Andy Gray, Peter Schmeichel, Paul Merson and cult hero Juan Pablo Angel. Here are some other well-known people who have lived in the town:
- Oliver and James Phelps – acting brothers who played the Weasley twins in the Harry Potter movies.
- Trevor Eve – film and television actor, he gained fame as the eponymous lead in the detective series Shoestring and is also known for his role as Detective Superintendent Peter Boyd in BBC television drama Waking the Dead.
- Bradley Simpson – the lead singer of pop group The Vamps. The band was signed by Mercury records in late 2012 and shot to global fame with several hits. The former Fairfax School pupil opened Simpsons bar in Sutton in 2017.
- Emma Willis – the Big Brother presenter went to John Wilmott School before becoming a young model. She got her big break presenting MTV before moving on to other shows including This Morning and The Brit Awards. She is married to pop star Matt Willis of the band Busted.
- Ken Miles – the great racing driver emigrated to the US in 1951 where he co-designed the GT40 with Carroll Shelby and drove it during the epic Le Mans showdown – but was cheated out of first place. He was played by Hollywood star Christian Bale in the movie Le Mans ’66.
There are too many Sutton celebrities to list. It’s a town that not only produces plenty of home-grown talent but attracts many other stars who are drawn to the beautiful, green open spaces and amazing homes it has to offer.