Mr Clarke thinks :
This barn is a unique opportunity.
Set in a wonderful rural location in the heart of the Rutland countryside, North Barn is an impressive family home that exudes warmth and calm. The property has been lovingly restored over the last ten years to create an exceptional modern home set over two expansive levels. The home presents a series of free-flowing spaces, grounded in the pretty landscaped gardens and rolling fields beyond. This is a magical spot and a very special home.
The house sits back from a quiet country lane amongst a cluster of impressive barn conversions. A private driveway leads to a generous parking area adjacent to the garage and studio.
It's no surprise that you're near Geoff Hamilton’s ‘Gardeners World’ Barnsdale Gardens, as a beautifully landscaped cottage garden stretches out in front of North Barn. This is partially laid to lawn, with a series of herbaceous raised borders, lines of mature shrubs and an oak framed dining area with a pizza oven and uninterrupted views across fields. A gravel patio leads down to the primary entrance, where a combination of glass and timber travel seamlessly from the outside into an impressive light-filled and voluminous interior.
Mrs Clarke loves :
The fact that these homes hardly come on the market!
The interior layout integrates a series of cleverly conceived divisions with a mix of large sociable spaces and intimate rooms. The centre of the home has a suspended ceiling and mezzanine floor, which carves into the vast volume of the original building. The lounge on the ground floor juxtaposes the cosy sitting area, the double-height glazed walls framing the superlative views out to the pretty gardens and rolling countryside beyond.
Two sets of double glazed doors flank the log burner and lead you into the large open-plan kitchen where there's space for a big kitchen table to host family and friends. Beyond the kitchen is another sitting room where there is strategically placed seating to enjoy the spectacular views of the surrounding landscape.
At the other side of the ground floor you can find a lovely and large dining room that could be used as an office, playroom or study. A well sized utility room and cloakroom mean you can keep your living space perfectly pristine.
A staircase leads from the central lounge up to a wide galleried landing, with three bedrooms spanning the length of the first floor and the master-bedroom suite positioned at the far end. The design of each room has a lightness of touch embracing the original features and natural light making them calm and gentle sleeping spaces.
As well as style, the architect has considered the rigours of modern living and has ensured there is plenty of storage space and room for family, guests and dogs. Outside a large two-floor barn provides garaging and storage on the ground floor and a studio above. This could be an office, art studio or a teenager's den.
We love the charm, space, light and warmth of North Barn and we are looking forward to showing you around.
- Three words : Stunning. Barn. Conversion.
Our favourite part
The picturesque and whimsical setting - it's what dreams are made of.
Quiet idyll of rural bliss
This beautiful home is set by the largest reservoir in England (Rutland Water) and right next to Geoff Hamilton’s ‘Gardeners World’, Barnsdale Gardens. There is no shortage of things to do in this wonderful part of the country. Whether you’re a wildlife enthusiast, and would love to explore the waters on one of the wildlife cruises, a water sports enthusiast looking to enjoy the activities Rutland Water has to offer, or a nature lover who prefers to explore the local reserves and walking opportunities on land, there are all kinds of activities throughout the year for an abundance of fun. You can then head to The Larder in Oakham (which is a 5 minute drive away) for a lovely Sunday Brunch and excellent coffee!
Exton is one of the most beautiful villages in Rutland with an English village green standing at its heart. Being right in between Rutland Water, Barnsdale Gardens and Exton village makes this home a very unique offering. You are spoilt with the most amazing walks and gorgeous architecture. If you're up for something fancy then head to Hambleton Hall, which is about 10 minutes away and is a truly special place. Top Tip: Try their lunch for less during the week so you don’t have to wait for a very special occasion to go. Going further afield? In 10 minutes you find yourself at Stamford train station where you can hop on a train to Peterborough and be in London in less than 90 minutes, or you can drive to Peterborough station in under 25 min and do the same.
Beautiful blooms, cosy cottages & wonderful wildlife
- Closest village/town: Next to Exton the nearest village over is Greetham a lovely little area with a shop and great pubs.
- Post Office: 1
- Stores: If you're into shopping then Stamford town is less than 15 minutes away, where a world of incredible independent shops awaits you.
- Supermarket: Tesco and Waitrose are between 10-15 minutes away so stocking up the fridge is never a problem.
- Pubs: The Fox & Hounds is right in the centre of Exton and has quite possibly the best garden ever! Gorgeous views and loads of space for basking in the afternoon sun. The Wheatsheaf in neighbouring village Greetham has a stream trickling gently along in the garden making it super dreamy & the food is top notch.
- Walks: Fort Henry: Work up your appetite on this 5.5 mile walk as you pass a mock gothic fishing folly on the edge of a beautiful lake covered with water lilies and swans.
- Schools: You are spoilt for choice with several outstanding schools in the local area. Oakham has an excellent comprehensive school (Vale of Catmose) and a very highly regarded private school. Being within minutes of Oundle, Uppingham and Stamford means you are a hop, skip and jump to some of the best schools in the country.