Mr Clarke thinks :
The quality of the house is exceptional. The design and craftsmanship allows us to move straight in with the knowledge that all the work, from top to bottom, has been done to the highest standards.
This home on Portland Street is a stunning five storey, Grade II listed Regency townhouse sitting in the heart of the buzzing town of Royal Leamington Spa. The property has been completely renovated and modernised to create a spacious, light and beautifully decorated home. The charming architectural features have been retained and the grand proportions of the rooms emphasised to create a mix of large family spaces and intimate private rooms. The pretty courtyard garden makes this property an ideal home for a family looking for luxury living in the middle of town. The property has gone through a lot of changes since 1827. In 2012 the current owners embarked on bringing the building back to it former glory by fully refurbishing and modernising the dilapidated dwelling.
Fortunately the property had retained many original features from flagstone floors and fireplaces to the architraves and beautiful staircase. Over two years the property was transformed; a new roof added, old plumbing, gas pipes and electrics removed and replaced with new including underfloor heating and feature cast iron radiators. The front façade was sympathetically rejuvenated with fresh rendering and was painted to improve the appearance of both the house and the street. All windows were renovated to conserve energy and create a warm and light interior. Outside railings have been restored, new stone steps installed from pavement to basement, off street parking added to the rear, the garden dug up and re-laid and permission granted to build a car-port. Internally everything has been lovingly restored. Antique doors, flooring and light fittings were sourced and fitted, rooms re-configured to create an easy flow around the house. Storage, bathrooms and kitchen installed and then the finishing touches added with the paint brush. This was a grand design with spectacular results. The home is now ready for a new future with a new family.
Portland Street is a quiet, tree lined road moments from the town centre. The conservation area boasts impressive Georgian architecture. Well heeled neighbours like being close to Marks & Spencer food hall and having a boutique coffee shop to grab a latte to start the day. The train station is under ten minutes by foot or bicycle and there is easy access to motorways. Leamington is a beautiful and busy spa town with shops, cultural hubs and a wonderful local feel. The private and state schools are of the highest standards and there are plenty of things to keep the whole family entertained.
You enter the home via a stylishly painted front door and into a spacious and bright entrance hall with stripped original timber flooring, coved cornicing and plenty of space for bags and shoes. Past the striking original staircase and to the right is a huge sitting room with two fireplaces with log burners and beautiful surrounds and impressive sash windows at the front and back. The central double doors can be closed to create two cosy rooms and curl up on the sofa with a good book or leave them open to entertain family and friends. There is a WC on the ground floor, a cloakroom to hide everything and a door leading to the pretty courtyard garden.
Mrs Clarke loves :
There is so much space for family life and it’s lovely to be so close to the boutiques of Regent Street and the new hipster cafes.
Head downstairs and you are taken aback by the space and the quality of the conversion. The original flagstone flooring set the painted wood cabinetry and marble worktops off beautifully. The large central island is the beating heart of the kitchen and you are drawn to congregate around it and enjoy the kitchen. The dining area is home to a table for up to ten people, allowing the whole family to be together in one room where they have space to play, cook, work and relax. There is a WC, a pantry, a larder and lots of storage space. A large utility has been added to the same high spec of the kitchen. There is a door leading to a patio area with great outside storage and flagstone steps to the pavement above.
Climb the beautiful staircase, with Crucial Trading carpet, to the light and spacious first floor landing, which leads you to the vast master-bedroom, which feels like a five star suite. The two tall portrait sash windows fill the room with natural light, the high ceilings and generous dimensions allow space for storage, King size bed, sofa, desk and dressing table. The dressing room is a great space to keep clothes and lots of shoes neat and tidy. The en-suite bathroom is more like a boutique hotel than a normal bathroom with it free standing bath, antique wash stand and obscure glazed sash window. The underfloor heating keeps your toes warm when you step out of the shower on a cold winter morning.
When going up to the second floor you notice the exquisite attention to detail the craftsmen have gone to. Where the upstairs was once full of nooks and crannies and unusable spaces, you now find large areas with useful storage. On the second floor there are two big bedrooms and a family bathroom. The bedrooms are beautifully decorated and the sash windows frame the views beyond. The bathroom is stunning; the kind of bathroom you can close the door, run a bath and soak away the stresses and strains of the day. There is a shower and a bath, Fired Earth carrara marble tiled floor with underfloor heating and a neatly concealed cupboard with the boiler and hot water cylinder. Sash windows allow lots of light onto the peaceful third floor landing. There are two more big bedrooms, which are ideal for a sleeping child, a guest or a quiet retreat of a library or office. The views from the bedrooms are stunning and you feel a world away from the town when you are this high up. The bathroom on the third floor has a shower and stylishly panelled bath and is fitted with the same high quality fittings as the other bathroom.
The courtyard garden and the back of the home is an oasis from town living. The garden is west facing and has the sun in the summer from around 11am and looses it at 6pm latest. In the winter the garden has the sun from around midday to 4pm. It is a real sun trap in the middle of the day. The wall climbing hydrangea, rose bush and ivy soften the brick work and the combination of an evergreen hebe, which flowers through the summer and seasonal spring bluebells to autumn cyclamen mean that despite the small space it is green and colourful all year round. It is a nice spot for a BBQ or a quiet drink.
- Style : Smart townhouse with a modern, stylish interior.
- Three words : Regency. Spacious. Stylish.
Our favourite part
Very hard to choose between the bedroom and the kitchen. I love sitting on the bed or the sofa in our bedroom being able to watch the world go by, listening to the rustle of the trees and enjoying the light streaming through.
Local Life in Leamington
Royal Leamington Spa, or Leam as we Leamingtonians like to call our beloved town, has the lot... tree lined avenues, hip and happening social scene, pretty parks, great schools and great coffee shops. Leam has it all.
Leamington’s streets of Regency town houses, which equal those of Cheltenham’s or Brighton’s in my humble opinion, are full of gorgeous homes and friendly people. There is a grand sense down every street.
Well connected? Leamington is super well connected. The M40 nips past to Birmingham, Oxford and London; Stratford-upon-Avon and Coventry are a 20-min drive away; Birmingham 40 mins.
The town has emerged as one of the Midland’s most highly regarded places to live for families who love the schools and activities, as well as young singles and couple who love the bar, restaurant and cultural scene.
If you like shopping, you will love the town centre’s mixed independent shops and High Street chains.
Mrs Clarke loves the boutique feel of the town centre, with its mix of hipster coffee shops like The Larder and the gorgeous shops like Thrills of The Emporium, Collective and Farrow & Ball. The High Street has all the big names and then there is the M&S food hall.
Mr Clarke has a few favourites of his own. His personal tailor at Clements & Church, a pint at The Pug; breakfast at Haddie & Trilbie or Coffee Architects; lunch at Nana's when he needs to impress Mrs C.
Education options include Arnold Lodge & Kingsley School For Girls, which are good independent schooling options, and excellent state primary (St. Peter's) close by. Secondary schools (Myton, Trinity, North. Leam). Leamington College and Warwick University
Tree lined avenues, great shops and a buzzing social scene. What more could you want?
- Closest village/town: Lots of lovely countryside on your doorstep
- Post Office: 1
- Stores: Lots of great independent shops and great High Street names
- Supermarket: All of them!
- Pubs: The Fat Pug and The Star & Garter are our favourites
- Walks: Along the river Leam and through the leafy parks
- Full refurbishment 2012-2013. EVERYTHING has been completed to a high standard. Wiring, plumbing, heating, wood burners, separately programable underfloor heating in the basement, rear hallway and all 3 bathrooms. Satellite points in all bedrooms. Separately programmed light switches on staircase and kitchen. Sensor activated lights in utility, basement WC and cupboards. Damp proofing, timber treatment, new windows, new roof, new boiler, insulation in roof and basement and re-rendered.
- No chain
- Open Plan Kitchen/Dining Room - (15'6" x 30’8”) Original flagstone flooring throughout and under floor heating. Range of base units with slate work surface and Villeroy & Boch Belfast style sink, Falcon Range style oven with stainless splash back and filter hood over, concealed dishwasher, twin drawer Hotpoint refrigerator, central island with marble worktop with Siemens microwave oven. Dining area with solid oak shelving to chimney recess, with a double glazed angled roof providing light well to the rear of the room, door to large store cupboard with automatic light and further large store cupboard. Door to WC.
- Living Room - (14'9" x 12’9”) Sash window to front elevation, cornicing, feature marble fireplace with slate hearth, onset wood burner with Italian carrara marble bullseye surround, display shelving with base cupboards to either side to chimney recess, period style radiator and exposed timber flooring. Double doors opening to adjacent sitting room.
- Sitting Room - (12'8" x 12’4”) Sash window to rear elevation, coved cornicing, period style Italian slate bullseye fireplace with wood burner, period style radiator.
- First Floor - Master Bedroom Suite - (19'9" x 12’9”) - With cornicing, two floor to ceiling portrait sash windows to front elevation, two period style radiators, original marble bullseye fireplace and door leading through to.. Dressing Area - Fitted out with a range of wardrobes leading through to.. En-Suite Bathroom - free standing bath with freestanding mixer with shower attachment, circular wash hand basin set onto refurbished antique marble and wood wash stand, low level WC and shower cubicle, cornicing and part obscure glazed sash window to rear elevation, marble tiled floor with electric underfloor heating, chrome radiator towel rail.
- Second Floor - Bedroom Two - (10'3" x 12’9”), Bedroom Three - (8’11" x 13’4”), Family Bathroom - low level WC, shower cubicle, large bath with central filler, oval wash hand basin set onto refurbished antique marble/wood wash stand, Fired Earth carrara marble tiled floor with underfloor heating, part obscure glazed sash window to rear elevation, double doors to cupboard housing hot water cylinder and boiler, chrome towel radiator.
- Third Floor - Bedroom Four - (10'2" x 14’6”) Bedroom Five - 8'5" x 17’9”), Family Bathroom - Stylishly fitted with a glazed corner shower with wall mounted body jet and angled shower attachment, low level WC, wash hand basin set onto wash stand with mono mixer, double ended bath set into attractive panelled surround with wall mounted filler, chrome radiator towel rail, feature angled ceiling lines with timber framed multi paned dormer window to rear elevation. Fired Earth carrara marble flooring with electric underfloor heating.
- Front Courtyard - Approached via stone steps from Portland Street leading down to a flagstone paved courtyard with two walk in storage cupboards.
- Courtyard Garden - West facing, brick walled garden with gates to rear. Landscaped and laid out with pathway leading to rear patio/hardstanding with herbaceous borders and lawned area.
- Utility Room - With oak block working surface, sink drainer unit, space and plumbing for washing machine and tumble dryer, Fired Earth marble tiled floor.
- Services - All mains services are believed to be connected to the property including gas.
- Tenure - Freehold
- Broadband - Fibre optic