Mr Clarke thinks :
The quality of the home is exceptional. Everything is immaculate.
Intelligent uses of light and space, including a breathtaking open-plan room at the centre of this house, have transformed a period property into a stylish, contemporary family home in the heart of Stamford.
Looking at the well preserved facade of this elegant five bedroom house on a quiet street in Stamford, you’d never guess the surprises that lie within. It’s awash with design touches, but at street level, the building’s period authenticity is scrupulously maintained.
The current owners are a busy family who wanted a stylish and fun home that was also functional. The complete renovation fits the vision and it is epitomised by the vast open spaces downstairs, where the family can co-exist in the same room but have the freedom to be doing their own thing. Playful design is juxtaposed with period detailing and modern solutions are complimented by nods to the rich history of the building.
The fulcrum to the interior is recently completed kitchen / living space that opens out to the conservatory and garden. The vast skylights and new glass roof in the conservatory allow light to flood all the way through the room, illuminating it at every level. Every inch of space has been maximised in this room to provide a truly modern environment to live, cook, work, exercise and play. The design was intended to encourage entertaining and togetherness, and we all need that right now.
A fusion of traditional and contemporary elements run through the rest of the ground floor - there is a pantry and a utility, that have returned to our home design schemes in recent years, and a formal sitting room / study at the front of the house. There is lots of storage to hide toys and shoes, a cloakroom and a wide entrance hall all of which add a practical edge to the stylish aesthetic.
A calm colour palette contributes to an overall sense of cohesion, enlivened by occasional pops of colour and flamboyant wall art. Notable is the custom designed and created mural by South African artist Paul Kneen on the long wall in conservatory.
Mrs Clarke loves :
The cleverly conceived spaces and the stylish interiors.
There is an uplifting feeling created by the main rooms in the house being connected to the garden - the connection to the fresh air is effortless and you are subconsciously encouraged to step outside.
Five bedrooms are divided over the first and second floor and have been completely upgraded from the original property. The main bedroom boasts epic vaulted ceilings that create an ethereal vibe. The luxurious en-suite shower room has new skylights and stylish fittings.
There are three more great sized bedrooms on this floor, each with their own personality, as well as a family bathroom. On the second floor you find a large bedroom with an en-suite shower room that is ideal as a guest suite.
- Three words : Smart. Stylish. Spacious.
Our favourite part
The wonderful main room downstairs. It's like a swiss army knife...
Local Life in Lovely Stamford
Voted one of the top 5 locations to live in the UK, the Georgian town of Stamford can afford to boast about its beauty and culture. Romantic, historic and incredibly desirable, the town offers so much in the way of heritage and with over 400 Grade I and II listed buildings, character and charm lies round every corner.
Within a short hop and step from each other are an abundance of independent and brand name shops, cool bars, fantastic array of restaurants and funky cafes. You have to check out Shekleton Wines (takeaway or sit in). If you like your tea served in a traditional tea pot with a sweet something on the side then the Crown Hotel is for you - even your well-behaved dog can expect a welcome treat! For those that enjoy a good Sunday roast the Bull & Swan serves delicious roast dinners and their traditional puddings are something to behold - they even have an outdoor cinema in the summer months! The best treat by far to start any celebration is a cocktail at the world-famous George Hotel. Whether you dine in the Garden Room or the main restaurant, the food, service and atmosphere is second to none.
There is the stunningly beautiful Burghley House and estate which holds many annual events such as the Burghley Horse Trials, Game Fair, and the extremely physically challenging “Rat Race”.
There are some fantastic schools for kiddly winks of all ages and private schooling is available in town at the renowned Stamford Endowed Schools.
Commuting couldn’t be easier, it’s a short walk to the towns very traditional Railway Station which provides access to all local and national rail services. London, amazingly is only 55 mins by train and 1 ½ hours in the car (well assuming no roadworks on the way!), the A1 runs just to the west of the town, giving easy access to both north and south.
Stamford is surrounded by some breath-taking countryside and bringing an element of this to your door we have the Stamford Meadows which runs alongside the River Welland to help you blow off the cobwebs or to just enjoy a long Sunday ramble. Rutland Water, Europe's largest man-made lake, is approximately 5 miles from town and offers an exciting day of water sports and facilities including fly-fishing and sailing.
Period charm without the drama
- Closest village/town: Lots and lots of pretty villages surrounding and the market town of Oakham is nearby
- Post Office: 1
- Stores: A plenty – Stamford has many fantastic independent shops mixed with a few high end branded stores
- Supermarket: Waitrose, M&S, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Lidl (or ‘Lidelle’ as us locals call it)
- Pubs: Shekleton Wines for a takeaway bottle. Toby Norris for a great pint, The Wine Bar for fizz and a giggle, Bull & Swan for its Scotch Egg, Paten & Co if you’re feeling trendy – there’s loads to sample.
- Walks: Endless countryside walks.
- Summary - Extensively improved period property with an interesting historical background, positioned on a private road within walking distance to all local amenities. A deceptively large space, retaining many original features blended with modern design.
- Design features - Uniquely designed kitchen nominated for a design award by Martha James of Stamford. Custom designed and created mural by South African artist Paul Kneen on long wall in playroom/conservatory. Large, modern skylights with open function. Master suite with vaulted ceiling and custom designed large wardrobes, also with steam shower en-suite bathroom.
- Renovations - Significant upgrades throughout entire property, complete renovation of every room. Notable rooms include master suite, vaulting ceiling and adding skylights and adding en-suite room. Adding a new family bathroom on first floor. Adding radiators, under floor heating and new flooring/carpets. Downstairs office adding window storage seat, carpets and re-decorating including adding new doors. Extension, new kitchen with integrated appliances, snug, dining room opening to kitchen (widened entrance). New glass roof on conservatory and underfloor heating laid throughout the downstairs extension.
- Kitchen - Bespoke design with customised lighting in all units and a large island with Dekton Trilium top. The kitchen also includes: integrated oven x 2, brand new steam oven and microwave x 1, elica with built in extraction, Quooker newly installed Jan 21, wine fridge, dishwasher, all fitted within last 12 months. Separate utility with space for appliances, ample storage and large sink.
- Downstairs - Snug adjacent with kitchen, double doors leading onto the garden, 2 x large skylights bringing in lots of natural light. Front room/office beautiful room with high ceilings, partial panelling, bay window and custom deigned storage window seat, carpets installed 12 months ago and under floor heating. Playroom/conservatory, under floor heating, glass roof, custom designed storage bench seating area
- Main bedroom - Vaulted ceiling, custom made wardrobes, double floor (carpet/wood) and step down to master ensuite & steam shower.
- Garden - Full enclosed garden with secure lockable gate and side access. New shed installed November 2020.