Mr Clarke thinks :
This is an incredible house. The mix of old and new is stunning.
This Grade II listed grand residence is one of the most impressive properties in South Wales. The property was saved from inevitable collapse and is now fully restored by skilled craftsmen and modernised for today’s lifestyle. There is a rich history attached to the building and now, in all its grandeur, it is ready for its next chapter in life.
Open the imposing Jacobean front door and you are greeted by this sense of history, that gets you excited to see more. Walking through the octagonal tower entrance with its original quarry tiled flooring, the elegant glass doors lead you to the expansive reception hall. Here the working marble fireplace and walkover glass panel looking down into the cellar is just the start of the many impressive features this house has to offer.
In the grand Drawing Room to the right, looking over the garden, we think about the fabulous house warming party you could host. To the left, the Morning Room, where the stylish vibe continues - another working marble fireplace, high ceilings, oak flooring and original wood-panelled shutters give this room a warm sociable feel. Then on through magnificent glass doors, into an opulent and tropical orangery - this truly needs to be seen to appreciate its unique space.
The beating heart of a home has to be the kitchen, and this one is worthy of gracing the pages of Living etc. It has been designed and handmade to emulate the wood-panelled shutters in the rest of the house. The large island is the hub of the cooking space, where you can perch for breakfast whilst looking out across the courtyard. There is a dining area too, so the whole family can be together. It is flooded with natural light from full height bi-fold doors.
Mrs Clarke loves :
The stylish vibes. This is like walking into a design magazine.
Head down to the cellar rooms - yet another stylish place that’s achingly cool. The main cellar room has a multitude of uses; our suggestions might be a cinema, gym or games room. Don’t worry, there is an additional brick-vaulted room for the wine! Yet another room provides a huge utility space with double arched doors leading up and out to the garden.
Back in the reception hall, the original stone staircase with iron balustrade sweeps you up to the first-floor landing, a simply outstanding spot where breathtaking stained glass windows illuminate the space effortlessly.
There are three larger than large bedrooms, and - our favourite room on this level - the octagonal shower wet room with Milan stone tiles, cast iron fireplace and tall windows. An additional bathroom on this floor is spa-like, with Carrara marble tiles laid in a herringbone fashion, traditional style shower and a claw foot bath to enjoy a relaxing soak by candlelight.
Go up the white wooden stairs to the second floor to find three further bedrooms and another family bathroom. One of the bedrooms has its own private corridor and modern en-suite - just
perfect for guests; another comes with its outside terrace, large enough for that hot tub, or just to sit and catch the sun as it sets.
A small flight of steps takes you into the room at the top of the tower, with its high vaulted ceiling and far-reaching views - perfect as a study, music room or library.
Outside you find wonderful and easily maintained grounds with beautiful mature trees including a magnificent ancient oak, believed to be the oldest in the area. There is also a double garage and
studio room, newly built yet in keeping and style of the main residence, with underfloor heating and complete with utility.
Now this Manor is ready and awaiting its new guardians, and will truly be a unique place to call home.
- Three words : Old. Meets. New
Our favourite part
The bespoke kitchen is beautiful
Fields Park Residences
Luxury modern living
Sitting proudly above Newport, Fields Park Residences is a luxury development of four bespoke homes. The developer, builders, craftsmen, artisans, interior designers and planners have worked together to create the finest address in the city. The gated development is set back off Fields Park Road and has a private atmosphere.
Fields Park is a beautiful area tucked away on the east side of the city. Tranquil surrounds, tree lined roads, exquisite architecture and good looking homes set the tone. The area has great views over the land towards the severn estuary and countryside. On a summer's day skip to the park with the pooch and visit Tredegar which is just down the road, or if you're fancying a day trip with the little ones then you're close enough to the motorway so it's no bother at all. You're so close to the local connections that almost anything is possible!
On a sunny afternoon we recommend heading to The Cafe at Ridgeway to have a latte and a natter with friends or a picnic on the grass which is incredibly popular right now. We haven’t mentioned the pub yet, best we had. Mr and Mrs Clarkes’ favourite is the Ridgeway, pop in and have a chat with Mr Musto who with the team make the best chips. He’ll be back open soon and sure he will continue with the their infamous steak nights, heaven!! We will definitely be popping in. For other occasions head over to the Celtic Manor resort where the food choices are many and the ambiance is just perfect.
Within 10 minutes you have walked to the station and be on train into Cardiff, Bristol or London. If the car is more your mode then the M4 is just 2 mins away where you can be in London in just 2 hours.
Live like Lord of the Manor
- Stores: There's some quirky cafés, bars and restaurants, artisan bakeries and independent stores.
- Pubs: Ridgeway. Hats off to Mr Musto who’s done a cracking job on turning this place to be the place to be.
- Walks: Jews Woods or The Ridgeway is a lovely spot for a dog walk.
- Practicalities -- The developers have undertaken an exquisite renovation of this Grade II listed home and turned it into a modern classic that’s easy to live in: double-garage with electric doors and a useful annexe that could easily be a gym, office or artists studio.
- Ground Floor — Two formal rooms. The drawing room has high ceilings, tall skirtings, beautiful oak flooring and full height bay window that forms an amazing space. Vying for the title of the signature room is the morning room that mirrors the drawing-room in style but has a wonderful orangery that overlooks the outside spaces. Impressive reception hall with original octagonal tiled floor, fireplace and cloakroom with marble tiles. A unique glass floor allows a view on the basement and to the roof. The hall leads to the kitchen, handmade with a central island perfect for entertaining extending out into the dining room with bifold door onto the patio area and garage/studio
- Basement -- Laundry, utility, wine cellar and cinema room
- Bedrooms -- 6 large bedrooms. High ceilings, sash windows, large skirting and subtle coloured walls. Tastefully completely with marble or cast iron fireplaces. The top floor is a bedroom with a terrace overlooking the courtyard below, the floor is strengthened here to accommodate a hot-tub.
- Bathrooms- Ground floor has a cloakroom off the reception hall. On the first floor, there is a spectacular shower room in the octagonal tower. The family bathroom is tiled in Carrara marble, some wall tiles laid in herringbone and has a clawfoot bath and also traditional shower fittings. On the second floor is a large family bathroom with a bath, wet room shower and handmade vanity unit. There is also on ensuite on this floor.
- Garden -- Highlights – A 340 yr old Oak tree commands centre stage, along with an imported 400 yr old olive tree these sit alongside more mature trees and shrubs. There’s a mix of hard-landscaping, slate on the driveway, original stone patio, sleepers and lighting. Lots of little areas with their own views and ‘feels’, great for parties.
- Tenure -- Freehold
- Services -- All mains services inc electricity, water, gas.
- Listing -- Grade II