Mr Clarke thinks :
The renovations and craftsmanship are wonderful. We could move straight in.
This charming, three bedroom townhouse, set in a former Malt house, is ideally positioned in the coveted town of Stamford. The internal living space, spans three storeys and has been beautifully renovated, with stylish and modern internal detailing. The house is located in the Stamford Conservation Area of the town and from the balcony you can enjoy views of the iconic church spires and the river. The home has private off street parking and is a five minute walk from the town centre and train station from where you can reach Central London in a little over one hour twenty minutes.
The three storey townhouse dates back to the early 19th century and sits within The Maltings, which were converted into a series of luxury residential houses in 2002. The property has undergone a full refurbishment in 2020 and has a fabulous mix of history and luxury modern touches.
The "upside down" layout has been cleverly conceived to maximise the stunning views from the main rooms at the top, and embrace the quietness in the sleeping spaces below. The top floor has a party vibe that makes you want to invite your friends over, open the drinks cabinet and dance.
There are two good sized double bedrooms and a brand new family bathroom on the ground floor, a Master suite on the middle floor, consisting of a very large bedroom, brand new en-suite and a dressing room / study / nursery. The top floor is a wonderful open plan space, with vaulted ceilings, and is laid out to include living, dining and kitchen areas. The vast windows frame the beautiful view across Stamford and the balcony is a wonderful space to sit and relax.
Mrs Clarke loves :
The top floor is one of my favourite rooms ever. It's got party vibes and the views are beautiful.
The recent renovations include new flooring throughout, brand new kitchen with built in appliances, new bathrooms, addition of a toilet on the top floor, new front door, painted throughout, all sockets & switches replaced to chrome, insulation in external & internal walls as well as flooring between 1st & 2nd floor.
The master bedroom suite takes up the entire middle floor and is beautifully light and calm. The refurbishment saw new flooring, a new en-suite bathroom with large walk-in shower. There is room for in built wardrobes, super-king size bed and a dressing table. On the ground floor there are two good sized double bedrooms one with a large walk in wardrobe and the other, which connects to the stylish and large family bathroom.
The house has retained lots of original features from the original Maltings building including the vaulted ceiling on the top floor, the wooden balcony used to hoist grain to the top floor, double height entrance hall including a round original window feature. The modern style and expert craftsmanship make this a modern, comfortable home with nods to the past at every corner.
- Three words : Stylish. Modern. Living.
Our favourite part
The sense of history.
Local Life in Lovely Stamford
Voted one of the top 5 locations to live in the UK, the Georgian town of Stamford can afford to boast about its beauty and culture. Romantic, historic and incredibly desirable, the town offers so much in the way of heritage and with over 400 Grade I and II listed buildings, character and charm lies round every corner.
Within a short hop and step from each other are an abundance of independent and brand name shops, cool bars, fantastic array of restaurants and funky cafes. You have to check out Shekleton Wines (takeaway or sit in). If you like your tea served in a traditional tea pot with a sweet something on the side then the Crown Hotel is for you - even your well-behaved dog can expect a welcome treat! For those that enjoy a good Sunday roast the Bull & Swan serves delicious roast dinners and their traditional puddings are something to behold - they even have an outdoor cinema in the summer months! The best treat by far to start any celebration is a cocktail at the world-famous George Hotel. Whether you dine in the Garden Room or the main restaurant, the food, service and atmosphere is second to none.
There is the stunningly beautiful Burghley House and estate which holds many annual events such as the Burghley Horse Trials, Game Fair, and the extremely physically challenging “Rat Race”.
There are some fantastic schools for kiddly winks of all ages and private schooling is available in town at the renowned Stamford Endowed Schools.
Commuting couldn’t be easier, it’s a short walk to the towns very traditional Railway Station which provides access to all local and national rail services. London, amazingly is only 55 mins by train and 1 ½ hours in the car (well assuming no roadworks on the way!), the A1 runs just to the west of the town, giving easy access to both north and south.
Stamford is surrounded by some breath-taking countryside and bringing an element of this to your door we have the Stamford Meadows which runs alongside the River Welland to help you blow off the cobwebs or to just enjoy a long Sunday ramble. Rutland Water, Europe's largest man-made lake, is approximately 5 miles from town and offers an exciting day of water sports and facilities including fly-fishing and sailing.
Period charm without the drama
- Closest village/town: Lots and lots of pretty villages surrounding and the market town of Oakham is nearby
- Post Office: 1
- Stores: A plenty – Stamford has many fantastic independent shops mixed with a few high end branded stores
- Supermarket: Waitrose, M&S, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Lidl (or ‘Lidelle’ as us locals call it)
- Pubs: Shekleton Wines for a takeaway bottle. Toby Norris for a great pint, The Wine Bar for fizz and a giggle, Bull & Swan for its Scotch Egg, Paten & Co if you’re feeling trendy – there’s loads to sample.
- Walks: Endless countryside walks.
- The Maltings were converted into a series of luxury residential houses in 2002 and this property has undergone a full refurbishment in 2020.
- Old - Character features from the original Maltings building include - vaulted ceiling on the top floor, wooden balcony used to hoist grain to the top floor still in use, double height entrance hall including a round original window feature. Brand new designer kitchen by Milano in Indigo & White Matt, brand new timber ‘Scotdoor’ front door
- New - the interior of the house has been fully renovated including, new flooring throughout, brand new kitchen with built in appliances, brand new bathrooms, addition of a toilet on the top floor, brand new front door, painted throughout, all sockets & switched replaced to chrome, insulation in external & internal walls as well as flooring between 1st & 2nd floor.
- Tech - Combi boiler is Hive enabled, Ring doorbell, all rooms connected to home Fibre system.
- Kitchen - The kitchen is on the top floor, with vaulted ceilings and brand new wood laminate flooring. Refurbished in 2020 with brand new units, built in Siemens appliances and a new utility room with separate toilet. The internal walls and floor were fully insulated during the refurbishment process to aid with reducing noise transference and energy efficiency. The handleless cabinets are Milano New York with abundant storage in cupboards & separate pan drawers. There are two electric ovens at eye level, and a double width induction hob, along with built in dishwasher and fridge freezer.
- Living space - The open plan living / dining area is on the top floor with vaulted ceilings. The room has undergone a full refurbishment with new flooring, insulation, painting and new Victorian style column radiators. Large skylights throughout the top floor make this a very light, airy and bright room.
- Bedrooms - The master bedroom suite takes up the entire middle floor. The 2020 refurbishment saw new flooring, a new en-suite and insulation and decorating throughout. On the ground floor there are two good sized double bedrooms one with a large walk in wardrobe and the other which connects to the family bathroom.
- Bathrooms - The family bathroom on the ground floor has been fully renovated including a new three piece suite, full tiling and underfloor heating. There is a connecting door directly onto one of the bedrooms as well as to the main hallway. The en-suite for the master bedroom has been fully renovated and acts as a wet room with a large walk in shower and double sink with a large steam-proof light up mirror.
- Other rooms - Utility room and a walk in storage / coat cupboard on the landing of the middle floor. This cupboard includes a gun cabinet with keys.
- Outside - There is a small balcony on the top floor which is accessible from the living / dining area, providing incredible views across Stamford including The George, three church spires and the river.
- Tenure - Freehold - there is also a flying freehold located to the left of the 2nd bedroom on the ground floor. Maintenance fees are £300 per annum. (Paid to Richardsons)