Mr Clarke thinks :
To be a short walk to the City, the Thames, and so many amazing green spaces is such a treat.
This charming two bedroom house is positioned a short walk from the centre of the Jesus Green Conservation area - an outstandingly well preserved estate of workers houses designed by Henry Robert Abrahamin the 1860. Tranquility is right on your doorstep as Wimbolt Street is arguably the quietest street in the area, surrounded by an oasis of gardens you can enjoy and stroll through.The house was opened up and modernised in the late 2000 by a previous owner, creating larger than usual living spaces which are light-filled yet homely. The entrance hallway and reception room have been unified, and the kitchen has been extended into the side return. These rooms are linked by doors which provide circulation space, a sense of openness, yet retaining some separation for the rooms respective functions. There are two double bedrooms upstairs, and a large luxurious bathroom with a separate bath and shower.The owners style is eclectic - favouring a few strong individual pieces and artworks of varying ages which sit very comfortably with the exposed floorboards and the refurbishment of late 2000- creating a home which is effortlessly relaxed and practical yet stylish.The location is one of Mr and Mrs Clarkes favourite haunts - a short walk from Columbia Road Flower Market and from the hustle and bustle of Bethnal Green Road and the Globe Street. This area has everything you would come to expect from living in East London - that heady mix of urban life, outstanding neighbourhood restaurants and drinking establishments, independent shops, brilliant public spaces and transport links to, well, everywhere! The south facing garden has been designed to be used whatever the weather - an ingenious seating area has protective covers under which sit cushions which can be stowed away quickly or exposed for an impromptu gathering; there are also removable fabric sails which can provide protection from the sun (or rain). There are sunken bike racks in the garden too, meaning that the house can be kept well organised.The currents owners love to cook and entertain, and this house is ideally suited to be a fantastic place to host parties inside or out. This home is a perfect combination - a comfortable home for relaxing, located in the heart of one of the most dynamic areas in the city, with every possible amenity you could imagine on your doorstep. Advert 4: Sitting under the glazed ceiling in the kitchen - flooded with natural light and surrounded by greenery - it a fantastic place to work or just sit and contemplate.
Mrs Clarke enjoys :
There are some serious restaurants on your doorstep - Morito, The Marksman, Bistrotheque to name a few…never mind those not much further away in Shoreditch!
- Three words : Relaxed. Urban. Life.
Our favourite part
The bathroom - with a beautiful roll top bath and a huge skylight... and relax.
A creative cluster of artistic community
"I love it for its chaotic, noisy, boisterous nature; a place were people come to party and blow off steam".
Carl Turner, Architect & Founding Director of Turner Works
Bethnal Green is one of the most archetypal East End neighbourhoods - a place where cutting edge contemporary architecture sits beside historic Georgian ruins; a fashionable hot spot where avant-garde cuisine, the humble café and little restaurants serving delicious food from across the globe sit side by side; it is bold and urban yet is also friendly and relaxed.
Transport links are amazing, the schools are good and the nightlife is enticing.
Jesus Green is a wonderfully well preserved estate of workers houses dating back to the 1860’s, abutting Columbia Road (with its famous Sunday flower market). Jesus Green refers to the pretty little park at its centre, surrounded by picturesque terraced homes.
Some of East London’s most prized gems are within walking distance - the aforementioned Columbia Road, Broadway Market - with its incredible mix of restaurants and independent shops, and the open spaces of London Fields (think wild flower meadows and its famous Lido) and Victoria Park.
Mr Clarke loves the restaurant scene in this part of town - there are some of the best neighbourhood eateries in London within walking distance. Mrs Clarke loves the relaxed and friendly village vibe.
The Royal Oak, The Well & Bucket are local staples, and the Star of Bethnal Green is one for those who prefer their pubs a little, well, more ravey…
An amazing archetypal East End neighbourhood
- Closest village/town: Eclectic Bethnal Green has everything you need, but the rest of London is on your doorstep!
- Post Office: 1
- Stores: The independent shops are a must see; antique furniture, interior decor, florists, coffee spots
- Pubs: A great variety of vibes and pubs nearby
- Walks: A lovely Sunday stroll by the canal side tops off the weekend
- Living Spaces - Reception Room 1 - 7.06m x 4.60m (23’2 x 15’1) entrance door to front aspect, sash window to front, 2 x fireplaces, exposed floor boards, doors to kitchen, stairs to lower ground floor. Reception Room 2 - 3.74m x 3.19m (12’3 x 10’6). Double glazed doors to fire escape.
- Kitchen - 7.21m x 2.49m (23’8 x 8’2) bifold doors to garden, 2 x windows to rear aspect, base units with storage, double sink, gas range.
- Sleeping Spaces - Master Bedroom - 4.61m x 3.50m (15’2 x 11’6) 2 x sash windows to front elevation, exposed floor boards, fitted floor to ceiling wardrobes, fireplace. Second Bedroom - 3.50m x 3.03m (11’6 x 9’11) sash window to rear, carpeted floors, fireplace, floor to ceiling wardrobes. Third Bedroom - 3.51m x 3.37m (11’6 x 11’1) glazed light well in ceiling of room, wooden floors, down lighters, door to ensuite shower room, with wc and sink.
- Bathroom - shower cubicle with glazed screen, roll-top bath, sink, wc, tiled walls and floor, heated towel rail, window to side of property, skylight, exposed wooden floorboards.
- Services - All mains services are believed to be connected to the property including gas
- Broadband - Superfast wire available
- Local authority - Tower Hamlets
- Tenure - Freehold